Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Increasing student engagement without over engaging my free time

This year I try to keep students engaged without spending hours planning a fun activity that may or may not work out. I thought of the easiest review game ever after I was forced not to do my modified version of the fly swatter game when the poster machine broke one morning. It took me all of two minutes to think of the game and ten minutes to get the supporting materials together.
Modified Fly Swatter Game
I let students pick a partner. Each pair gets an answer board with scrambled phrases in the target language. I call out a number and translation of one of the phrases on their answer board. Students work with their partner to write the correct number beside the phrase on their answer board. The group that gets the most correct wins a prize. 

Why is this review game awesome?
1. Students are engaged
2. Students are quiet (they don’t want neighboring groups to steal their answers)
3. Students are practicing listening
4. I can easily assess listening comprehension

No comments:

Post a Comment